In order to drive legally on South African roads you must have a valid driver’s license. Before applying for a driver’s license you must first have a learners licence.

Licences are issued under various categories of motor vehicle:

  • Code B: This is for a motor vehicle, including a minibus, bus and goods vehicle, with a gross vehicle mass not exceeding 3 500kg. You must be 18 years or older to apply.
  • Code C1: This is for a motor vehicle, a bus, minibus or goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass between 3 500 kg and 16 000 kg. You must be 18 years or older to apply.
  • Code C: This is for a motor vehicle, a bus or a goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 16 000kg.

We are focusing on Code EB and B driver’s licences.


What you should do

Book for a test date with Smiles Driving Academy with all the necessary documents

  •  Learner’s licence.
  • Booking fee.
  • Identity document (ID).
  •  Identical black-and-white photographs.
  • Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.  (if you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address)

If you pass the driving test, Smiles Driving Academy will notify you when card is ready for collection (per request and payment from client). The licence card takes 8 weeks to be ready; we can collect the card for them at Kempton Park or Waltloo for a fee of R250.


Code EB

An EB licence allows you to tow a caravan or trailer that has a combined gross vehicle mass (GVM) of up to 3500 kg, the tare weights of the tow vehicle and caravan combined. You must be 18 years or older to apply.

The majority of licensed drivers in South Africa are more likely to have a Code B licence rather than a Code EB licence.

How to apply for a Code EB licence

You need to start from scratch! That’s the sad reality of obtaining a Code EB licence; unfortunately you cannot upgrade your current licence code.  You’ll have to:

  • Book a test date
  • Take the learner’s driving test
  • Apply to take the driving and towing test
  • Study and practise towing with an instructor

Smiles driving Academy offers exceptional services with regards to car and EB licence training with at least 90% first time passes. Kindly contact or WhatsApp

Martin on 082 377 9858 for a quick quote or visit our website for a price list: